Thursday, March 22, 2007

Haskell: A Cook's Tour

(I've been meaning to post this for a while now....)

I'm going to be giving a talk on Haskell for FringeDC, the Washington, DC area group for programmers who like to live on the edge. ;-)

The talk is called Haskell: A Cook's Tour. It's really hard to condense what's so cool about Haskell into an hour or two. (I did a 3 hour tutorial at OSCon last year, and boy, did that feel rushed! And that just scratched the surface!) Instead, I'm going to try my best to hit the high points: the type system, monads, parsec, and one or two more gems.
6pm, Saturday, March 24, 2007

Synergy Workspaces
1325 G St, NW
(Near Metro Center)
More details here.

Slides will be available (at some point) after the talk.

1 comment:

Tom Moertel said...

If you're going to introduce people to Haskell by talking about monads and the type system -- deep, beautiful stuff -- don't plan on talking about much more. It will take all of your time, plus clear explanations and clever examples, for the coolness of these things to come through. What's worse, if you skim the deep stuff, most people will miss the beauty, which is revealed only upon understanding.

For what it's worth, a few years ago I gave a talk on Haskell for our local Perl Mongers group. Foolishly, I stuffed too many cool things into the talk. Even through I ran over an hour long, no topic got the time it deserved. By trying to show a million butterflies, I showed nothing.

Two, maybe three, butterflies is all you can really show.

Thus my advice is to devote your time to a few topics and go deep. If you can accomplish something amazing yet understandable during your talk, that alone will motivate people to investigate the stuff you didn't talk about.

If you're curious, here's the link to the slides for my talk:
http://community.moertel.com/ss/space/Talk+-+Haskell+for+Perl+Hackers

Best of luck on your talk!

Cheers,
Tom